If you Google search for driving classes near me, chances are, you’ll be overwhelmed with the results showing tons of driving schools in Brooklyn, New York.
But, must you really enroll with a driving school or there are other options you can take to become a licensed driver in New York?
Let’s dive in.
The 3 Main Types of Drivers Ed Classes
There are three most popular types of driver’s education that you should consider to help you decide on that which befits you. They include:
- Classroom instruction
- Online driver education courses
- Parent-taught courses
Below is complete coverage on these courses, including their pros and cons, to help you make better decisions.
1. Classroom Driving Instruction Course
It’s the most traditional of the three options. Here, you are required to attend classes in person for a specific number of hours. In Classroom Instruction Course, in-car instruction is part of the curriculum.
Old is gold. Despite it being a teaching approach in the old days and the emergence of contemporary options, it still holds some benefits other models don’t. They include:
- Physical or one-on-one coaching with competent driving instructors
- Interactive curriculum whereby you can ask questions and participate in discussions
- Taking your course through your local high school since some school districts offer the classes as part of the high school curriculum.
A few of its drawbacks include:
- Fixed schedule for class time. Missing a class can have you retake the whole course.
- They are only in some places. It can be problematic if you are in rural areas.
- Costs for the classes may be a bit higher than other models. In most scenarios, it’s usual in private lessons, not in high schools.
- It’s less flexible for students who may need more study time, or have busy schedules.
At Pierre Paul Driving School, we provide driving classes for adults and teens alike. We have seasoned instructors who’re patient with all our students. We consider the schedule of our students when delivering the lessons. Enroll with us now! Call 718-576-6277 or send us a message.
2. Online Driving Course
Should I enroll for online Drivers Ed classes near me? Thanks to technology, it’s now possible to take driver’s education online. With this option, you can read through the materials, complete course activities, and take the tests on your computer or tablet. Find out more about its pros and cons below.
Some of its benefits are;
- You are learning at your own pace as opposed to that of an instructor or your peers in class.
- You can study anywhere when you have the time
- It allows for full concentration
Just because it seems natural to access a driver’s education online, it’s not for everyone. Below are the reasons why it’s disadvantageous to some.
- Procrastination since you can do it at your own pace
- You must observe self- discipline to read each piece of the material provided without skimming.
- You are missing some driving instructions, especially in-car instructions. You’ll need to organize another lesson to cover the latter separately.
- The inability to ask questions to your instructors can make it more difficult for you to handle the online tests.
We encourage you to enroll for our classroom driving lessons, interact with our friendly instructors and other students. You also have the opportunity to practice driving using our cars. Why struggle alone online when have affordable driving packages for all our Brooklyn students? Call us now at 718-576-6277 to get started.
3. Parent-Taught Driving Course
Should I enroll in driving classes near me or opt for a parent-taught course? In this option, you can take an online course together with the parent-taught in-car lessons.
- You’ll have a flexible schedule
- You’ll manage your studying pace
- Your parents are familiar with your learning habits and levels of stress
- It’s comfortable since you’re free with your parents and can ask any questions
- Learning depends on your parent’s driving knowledge
- Due to work and other duties your parents may have, it may be challenging to have enough time for the lessons
- Not all parents are good drivers. You can pick up bad driving habits from your parent knowingly or unknowingly.
- On the other side of being comfortable while learning from your parent, sometimes it’s pretty easy to take out frustrations. Rigid boundaries with a stranger,on the other hand, can make you practice self- control.
At Pierre Paul Driving School, we’ve knowledgeable instructors to provide you with quality driving lessons until you become confident. Even after learning how to drive with your parents, you can take a 5 hour class with us, which prepares you for the road test and finally for a NY driver’s license.
What’s the Best Option?
As you can see from the above three options, classroom-based driving instruction is the most convenient because it allows you to learn from professional instructors and also allows you to go through practical lessons.
But, whichever option you go for, here’s how driver education works in NYS:
Drivers ed classes are suitable for first-time teenage drivers, a new adult learner, or an existing driver in need of brushing on the current driving safety strategies. In New York, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the State Education Department (SED) jointly administer the Drivers Education Program.
Upon completion of the Driver Education from any approved DMV approved site in New York, you can obtain a Pre-Licensing Course Certificate. The Pre-Licensing course is usually five hours long. You can take it in your high school or college or at a reputable driving school in New York.
You can also opt for a Student Certificate of Completion, which is in-depth. It’s estimated for around forty-eight (48) hours, consisting of a twenty-four (24) hours of class study,another twenty-four (24) hours of in-car instructions. You must complete a minimum of six (6) clock hours of actual behind-the-wheel driving and eighteen (18) clock hours of observation by your teacher.
A teacher or instructor should have a Driver Education Certificate (MV-283) that permits teaching the DMV pre-licensing Course at a high school or college. As an instructor, you can get the certification upon request from SED as long as you have a satisfying driver record.
You should carry your Certificate during any behind-the-wheel instructions.These certificates are necessary and are required by the New York state to ascertain the readiness of the new driver for a road test.
What are the Requirements for Drivers Ed Classes Near Me?
Below is all you need to enroll for a driving class and make your driving dream come true.
Most aspiring drivers will ask, “are there Driving Ed classes near me that can accept me if I am underage?”If you’re under 18 years,you must have a minimum of fifty (50) hours driving under supervision. It includes at least 15 hours of driving at night and 10 hours of driving in moderate to heavy traffic conditions.
2. Certificate of Supervised Driving
You must produce a certificate guarantees that you’ve driven under supervision (MV-262) completed by your parent or legal guardian. The Certificate affirms that you’ve attained the required hours of driving under control. Also, you should provide a statement of identity completed by your parent or guardian.
3. A Learner’s Permit
Obtaining a learner’s permit is the first step to acquiring a driver’s license. If you’re 18+, then you should consider getting a learner’s permit before settling for a driver’s education in New York. It entails a three-stage process, as you’ll see below.
4. Be Ready to Sit for a Written Permit Test
To prepare for this test, ensure you go through NY State Driver’s Manual and take the practice tests. Class D and M are usually in 14 languages, including English, Albanian, Polish, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Bosnian, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, French, Russian, and Spanish.
To pass the test, you must be able to get 14 out of the possible 20 multiple-choice questions correctly. It includes at least two of the four questions on the road signs segment. If you’re applying for a motorcycle permit, you should get a minimum of three questions out of the five.
5. Be Aware of What to Bring to the DMV
Are the driving schools offering Driving classes near me certified to do so under DMV? Well, Pierre Paul Driving School is in no doubt, the best choice to take your driving education. We are fully licensed to impact driving seriousness, responsibility, know-how, and attentiveness to all our students.
The DMV requires that you present some documents upon visitation, such as proof of your identity and age. You also must book an appointment in the New York DMV to take a written test.
6. Wait Up to Two Weeks for Your Permit to be Sent to Your Mail
Your learner permit has a five-year validity. Its exact date of expiration depends on your date of birth and the application date.
Once you certify all the requirements of the driver’s education, you’ll learn:
- How to drive on the highway. Through this, you’ll learn good habits and courteous driving. Additionally, you’ll be able to keep in check your emotions, mentality, and physical alertness.
- About driver habits and skills that include defensive driving, how to maintain a safe distance while driving, proper and road acceptable decision-making skills, and evident mastery of the road rules.
- The relationship between drugs, alcohol, and driving. You’ll understand the reasons why people use drugs while driving and whether or not it’s acceptable, zero tolerance, and consequences.
How much are driving lessons in Brooklyn?
The cost of a basic package usually ranges between $440 and $550. You can learn more about our driving packages here.
How much is a 5-hour class in Brooklyn?
The five-hour pre-licensing class ranges between $45 and $50
How long does it take to learn how to drive?
It depends on some factors, such as the package you’ve enrolled in, the number of practical lessons you get, the driving instructor and more. We’ve covered this post in detail here.
How many driving lessons should you take?
Between 2 to 4 lessons a week.
Driving is a dream come true for many. With driving measures and precautions, the experience behind the wheels is more enjoyable. For you to acquire the necessary knowledge, you’ll need to enroll for a driver’s education. Consider the requirements above before applying for a driver’s education.